Friday, February 8, 2013

7 Quick Takes


--- 1 ---

This was a hard week.  Wednesday marked the first anniversary of the death of a woman well loved on the internet and in real life, Susan Niebur.  I've spent a lot of time thinking about Susan over the past year -- almost as much time as I spent praying for her and thinking of her during the years that I knew her.  She was, and is, an inspiration for me in terms of mothering, spirituality, and writing.  I'm glad she is praying for me.  I'm sorry I couldn't know her for a longer time.

 --- 2 ---

As I write, my children are home and happily coloring as I take a few minutes to write my 7 Quick Takes.  Today is a day off from school due to parent/teacher conferences.  I'm happy to report that both of them are doing well.  Right now they are discussing the difference between imitation (when another student likes your picture and uses the same idea -- a positive thing) and copying (like when another student tries to copy your work on a math test -- a no no). 

--- 3 ---

I am loving yoga.  It is such a relief to not be able to think about anything except whether I'm going to fall down.  Yesterday we worked on something called cow-faced pose.  That was an adventure. 

--- 4 ---

Today we are making oatmeal raisin cookies for the Senior Tea my Brownies troop is hosting today.  The chickadees needed a lot of help in figuring out how to chop raisins.  But they eventually got the point that chopping raisins is just an exercise in due diligence.  I maintain that you really can't chop a raisin -- you just kind of mash them up with the sharp side of the knife. 

--- 5 ---

I started Curves Complete this week.  I haven't figured out the recipes well enough -- they're all scaled for one person, and I obviously have to cook for four, so I haven't entirely stuck to them, but I have gone and done the workout twice and will do so again tomorrow.  I was planning on today, but it's just too busy a day and I'd have the kiddies with me.  I brought them the other day and they were MAGNIFICENTLY behaved, but I got the impression that the Curves owner was not entirely comfortable with them being there. 

--- 6 ---

Listening to my children as they are coloring cracks me up.  They sound just like my two younger sisters used to.  They are masters of the subjunctive.  Chickadee #2 just said, "Pretend our teacher did not like us to be loud in class.  We were a year late for American Girl camp."  They  are in American Girl camp right now, apparently.  Miss Claire (I am Miss Clair) likes it to be quiet (YES SHE DOES).  Chickadee #1 just said (in Miss Claire's voice):  "Girls!"  (Yes, Miss Claire?)  "I am going to be gone.  I have to clean a latrine"  Chickadee #2 said, "We know."  Coming out of character, Chickadee #1 said, "You don't know what latrines are like.  You had a toilet (at Girl School camp).  We just had holes in the ground.  They were scary. We couldn't even wash our hands.).  Who needs to spend 10 dollars to see a movie?  This is very entertaining.

--- 7 ---

 
I'm currently reading George Weigel's Evangelical Catholicism and I'm loving it, if not Weigel's idiosyncratic and convoluted writing style.  This is instead of my book club book, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which I am scared to start.  The meeting is on Monday, so I'd better put Weigel aside and start the book club book. 
 

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

1 comment:

  1. You can totally chop raisins! The key is a really, really sharp knife. :D

    ReplyDelete